Last updated: May 18, 2023
Are you interested in historic buildings and working with your hands? This may be the job you are looking for.
SR is a woman-owned, Detroit based business specializing in stained glass and window restoration for 15 years. We take pride in offering quality craftsmanship repair, restoration and creation of stained glass windows as the next generation of tradespeople. Our staff has a passion for hands-on work, history, and also good honest work. We value a healthy and respectful work environment for all.
IMPORTANT: to be considered, complete the application form below. Phone and in-person inquiries will not be accepted. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Stained Glass & Window Technician Full Job Description
Full time, part time and seasonal positions are available. Seasonal positions typically run from May-September. Starting pay begins at $15 per/hour variable to experience. Our schedule is first shift Monday-Friday and occasionally we work on Saturdays. Full time staff are eligible for PTO on major holidays. We close on most major holidays and typically close for a few weeks at the end of the year. Staff may have educational opportunities beyond the standard on-the-job training they receive with SR.
Stained Glass & Window Technicians are required to perform many tasks, ultimately working up to mastering all skills. Experience with hands-on work, historic preservation or conservation is a plus, but not required.
On the Job Training Includes:
- Window removal, installation and documentation,
- Safe lead paint removal,
- Wood and steel sash restoration,
- Glass repair and replacement,
- Stained Glass: Cutting glass, soldering new and old materials, kiln fired glass painting, repair and replacement of old cames, and full panel assembly.
- Wear PPE such as a respirator, other masks, gloves, apron and Tyvek suit. PPE provided by SR and in regulation with workplace safety requirements.
- Climb ladders and work on staging, scaffolding and lifts at various heights.
- Perform the daily physical demands of the job such as work standing on your feet, bending, squatting and repetitive use of shoulders, hands and wrists.
- Work with power tools, hand-tools, sharp objects and various materials.
- Lift and manipulate objects of up to 40 lbs. for 40 feet.
- Arrive to work on time.
- Possess a strong work ethic, willingness to learn and attention to detail.
- Troubleshoot, assess problems and present solutions.
- Complete client projects on time, based on the time estimate given.
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized work area.
- Respect and comply with company policies on health and safety including: lead-paint and hygiene practices, power tools and equipment and communicable diseases.
- Perform any task, large or small with a good attitude.
- Discretion and sensitivity when working on-site at residential, historic and religious locations.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, reliable transportation and cellphone.
- Use company time tracking and group messaging apps.
- Must enjoy working with old, dirty and messy things!
Sevonty Restoration is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.